Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 4th Weekend Recap & Our First Visit to the Children's Hospital


This 4th of July weekend was marked by so many firsts:
first trip to the Children's hospital
first movie
first ride in the back of a truck
first fireworks

We had a FULL weekend! I'm still recovering.

Friday morning, we were setting out to run some errands before lunch and nap when I heard Ryan say from the backseat, "Mommy, I stick baby pinecone up my nose!" in thhise most proud, excited little voice.

I responded, "Up  your nose?! That would be silly. .....WAIT, you DID stick it up your nose?"

At which point I quickly pulled over and sure enough saw what we had found in our backyard and called a "baby pinecone" barely sticking out of his right nostril.

So I kept my best act-calm-and-don't-freak-out voice and grabbed a pair of tweezers from my bag to get it out. The problem was that I couldn't get the tweezers around it, so I held down Ryan's left nostril and told him to blow just like he was blowing his nose.

Well, he did give a small blow but then followed it with an even bigger suck, and there shot the baby pinecone even higher up his nose.

At that point I said in my most forced, chipper voice, "Okay buddy, we're going to go visit a special doctor who will get this baby pinecone right out of your nose! Remember when Daniel Tiger visited the doctor?!" Meanwhile, in my head I'm saying, "Ahhhhh.... don't freak out, don't freak out."

Thankfully, we live less than 15 minutes from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, and thankfully Ryan was SO calm and brave and was doing a great job of not touching his nose the whole way there.

They were GREAT. They gave him stickers, blew bubbles on the way back to the room, and were able to get it out without surgery- Praise the LORD! Ryan was SO brave and only started to cry when they were pulling it out, saying, "Dat hurts, dat hurts." Poor buddy!

We took this little bottle home with us and Ryan showed our family and friends and told them what he learned, "Not put baby pinecone in nose anymore." :)
Meanwhile, in the hospital room, this girl snuggled her Sophie and flashed all the smiles- ignorance is bliss. ;)

Later that day, we met Mimi and Matt at the pool and Mimi treated Ryan to a special patriotic popsicle. Whenever Ryan gets excited about a something he says, "Oooooh!" with a big smile and scrunches up his shoulders- sweet guy!
What he did when I told him we were going swimming with Mimi and Daddy

Saturday morning, Matt took Ryan to see him first movie- Finding Dory! Ryan wanted to stay through the credits. :)
Later that day we went swimming at my sister's house, and all of the boys rode in the back of my brother-in-law's truck down to the pool.
Jumping off the diving board!

Girly cracking us up with her stink eye at Ryan in this picture!

Maddox teaching Ryan how to use the firework (a little popper one you just throw on the ground)

On Sunday we swam with friends and had a cookout
And this little lady chilled on her towel.

Monday morning we walked up to the Peachtree Road Race to watch my sister and stepdad and all of the other runners.
Our family the last four years in the same spot!
We took it easy the rest of the day and ended with a walk at our favorite park. Ryan of course stopped to look at the ants.
Later that night, right as Matt and I were about to go to bed early, the fireworks started and we got about 3 hours of quality time with this pup.
Oh Tal.

If you missed yesterday's post, there is a GIVEAWAY involved! You can check it out here.

Happy Wednesday, Friends!

facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. The pine cone up the nose is just too much. Poor little guy lol. So happy they got it right out. Ivan only imagine hearing that sentence from the backseat!
    Looks like you had a great 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry but that is so cute, but so scary with Ryan!! I haven't been on here in awhile and can't believe how big your kids have gotten! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm glad he's okay. And I really hope you save the pine cone for the future :)

    ReplyDelete